JUN 8, 2022
Athletic Compression: Fad or Fact?
Analyze the different set of benefits from athletic compression that might be useful to runners or other types of athletes.
Benefits of Compression Tops
To understand the full benefit of compression gear, it's important to analyze compression tops and bottoms separately. Each article of clothing provides a different set of benefits that might be useful to different runners or other types of athletes. Compression tops, which are perhaps the most popular item among compression apparel options, have a few distinct benefits that are backed up by science and experience.
- Compression tops enhance posture by focusing a great deal of extension on the back, forcing athletes to stand up taller and take fuller breaths. As a result, compression tops can lead to easier breathing during particularly strenuous activity.
- Compression tops also focus on the core, by keeping things tight even when the abs are fatigued. This is a particularly important benefit for avid runners, who may suffer from abdominal fatigue during longer races. With this kind of support, longer runs can still be enjoyable and easier throughout.
- Compression tops promote a greater flow of oxygen through the muscles, enhancing performance and potentially reducing recovery times after a grueling workout or competition.
Compression Tights & Socks: A Must-Have for Some Athletes
- Compression tights provide the "compression" part of the RICE acronym to proper athletic recovery (rest, ice compress, elevate).
- Tights reduce wasted energy and cramping by increasing muscle oscillation and flushing lactic acid from the leg muscles. Compression throughout extended running or weight training events can also reduce DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness, through these same processes.
- Injury risk is decreased as athletic performance is increased. Thanks to increased support of muscles and joints, damaging injuries to the calf muscles and ankles are less likely to occur, especially during extended training or distance running.
- The flow of oxygen is enhanced by the compression applied to leg muscles by compression tights, further reducing recovery time and enhancing performance.
Other Features: A Matter of Personal Preference
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Compression products should not be worn and are contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions: Severe arterial insufficiency, cutaneous infections, acute dermatitis, wet dermatosis, uncontrolled congestive heart failure, skin irritations, allergies to dyes.
This is only general information and is not meant for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical conditions. Always consult your physician or other health care provider about all health concerns, conditions, and recommended treatments.